Bullying – it may be an age old nemesis to many people both young and old. It always leads to painful consequences, something that you may never have imagined. From simple threats, to physical injuries, one could never realize how harmful bullying can be. Bullying is not just a single act of mistreatment. Rather, these are small (and probably more obvious) incidents that have been ingrained over time. Bullying cannot be described in just one word. But in all types of bullying, one thing is present in all bullies – there are conscious desires to harm or hurt other people.
To get know bullying up close and personal, you need to know what are the types of bullying.
Understanding the different types of bullying will help you apply a conscious effort to be aware of the situations around you and protect yourself from bullying.
As the name implies, this type is associated with cyber space. Cyber bullying has been seen spreading the internet as well as through text messages in mobile phones since the dawn of the internet. Last year, it has surged in popularity, especially when news about teen agers who committed suicide was found to be the end results of many cyber bullying. Digital technology is good, but when young people use it to threat, embarrass, humiliate, and harass other young people like them, things may go out of hand and usually result into disastrous consequences.
The anonymity of the internet makes cyber bullying one of the types of bullying, which are almost impossible to control!
Kids and teen agers had often been victimized by unscrupulous gossips and rumors, relentless online teasing, slanderous acts, and the likes. Cyber bullying is spreading faster than ever before, causing pain and trauma to hurtful victims.
Cyber bullying may take place in:
- Derogatory Text messages
- Disdainful website postings
- Sending threatening or mean messages
- Posting sensitive information about the victim
As the name implies, Physical bullying is one of the types of bullying that can cause physical harm to victims young and old alike. Forms of this can be:
- Destroying possessions
Workplace bullying has a negative impact on the victims, on the onlookers, and on the company. This type of bullying can have several forms like:
- Verbally abusing a workmate or a subordinate.
- An employee who has been singled out and is always a victim of unjust criticism.
- An employee whose efforts in the office are always purposely ignored.
- An employee who is purposely excluded from any company activities.
- Repeated practical jokes.
- Actions, body languages and languages that humiliate or embarrass an employee.
School yard bullying may be the most common type of bullying. It may refer to different types of bullying as long as those happened within school premises.
Students and teachers alike can be victims as well as perpetrators.
Bullying in schools may take several modes. Among them are:
- Physical bullying
- Verbal bullying. This may come in:
- Name calling
- Derogatory remarks
- Emotional/Social bullying. This is also like verbal bullying but when incidents are repetitive that the victim cannot handle anymore, emotional bullying more often than not leads to serious emotional damages. Some of this type may come in:
- Purposely ignored or being left out
- Direct attempts to ostracize the victims
Bullying is indeed harmful in more ways than one. It may be an age-old problem that has already affected the society worldwide. But there is so much that we can do to curb this problem and make it disappear for good.
*Image Credit: Eddie~S (Bully Free Zone Uploaded by Doktory) [CC-BY-2.0], via Wikimedia Commons