Even though laws have being enforced to about 49 states in the US, bullying statistics in 2010 showed that bullying is still a growing problem nationwide. The alarming facts about bullying were revealed:
- 1 of every 7 students from kinder garden to Grade 12 has been a bully or has been bullied.
- 61% of students who were interviewed stated that bullying can resort to students shooting other children.
- More than 56% of students had already witnessed bullying that happened while they were in school.
- 71% of students reported that bullying is an on-going problem.
- 1 in every 20 students has seen a student carrying a gun while in school premises.
- Top years for bullying are from 4th-8th Grades.
- 54% of students who witness violence and physical abuse at home can become bullies in schools.
- Each month, a shocking number of around 282,000 students are being victimized by bullying in the US.
- 90% of victims admitted that they suffered negative side effects. Among them are:
- Significant drop in grades
- Increase in anxiety
- Loss of friends
- Loss of social life
School bullying statistics:
The more alarming part of the recent bullying statistics is the growth of school bullying.
This is a cause of constant concern of many school administrations. School bullying causes catastrophic harm to the overall well-being and development of the victims as well as the bullies. Consider the reports below:
- 77% of students are being bullied whether physically, mentally, or verbally.
- Of the 77%, 14% experienced extremely bad effect of school bullying including “bullycide.”
- 70% of high school and middle school students have already experienced and witnessed bullying in school.
- 27% of students have been victimized by school bullying because they are not sexually active.
- 23% of students who are in Grade 9 already carry a gun.
The school bullying statistics show that schools nowadays could no longer be a safe haven for our children. Sadly, schools have become a hunting ground for bullies and as long as they can freely lurk around, our children will never be safe.
Cyber bullying statistics
Cyber bullying may be the newest form of bullying. The method of bullying includes the use of the internet as well as other modern technology. Sharing of menacing gossips, embarrassing photos, and the likes can be spread faster than a lightning.
The victim is left being shattered and devastated as the harmful messages are usually viral and hard to control.
Here is the shocking truth on the latest cyber bullying statistics:
- Around 50% of teens have already been victims of cyber bullying.
- Sadly, only 1 out of 10 victims of cyber bullying tells parents about the incident.
- Only 1 of 4 cyber bullying episodes is reported to the law enforcement.
- 1 out of 10 kids and teens had their embarrassing photos taken without their consent.
- Around 1 in 5 teens have already posted nude or sexually suggestive photos and sent them to others.
- More girls are becoming major participants in cyber bullying.
Bullying statistics are an eye-opener that bullying is already taking its toll on our society faster than we ever have thought. We have to do everything we can to protect our youths. As the age-old saying goes, “The youths are the hope of our nation.” How can they protect our society when they themselves are the problem? How can they provide eternal hope for the us when they resort into bullying? Let us end bullying of whatever sort NOW. Each of us has the responsibility to report any bullying incidents. Only then can we help our youngsters live in a nation that is bully-free!
*Image Credit: Aeshka (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0], via Wikimedia Commons