Key Points in the Anti Bullying Laws in South Carolina:
Definition of terms:
Harassment, intimidation or bullying – a gesture, an electronic communication, a written, verbal, physical, or sexual act that is reasonably perceived to have negative effect such as:
- Harming a student physically or emotionally or damaging a student’s property, or placing a student in reasonable fear of personal harm or property damage.
- Insulting or demeaning a student or group of students causing substantial disruption in, or substantial interference with, the orderliness of school.
- harassment, intimidation, or bullying
- reprisal, retaliation, or false accusation against a victim, witness, or one with reliable
- information about an act of harassment, intimidation, or bullying
Bullying Laws in South Carolina – Model Policy
- Statement prohibiting harassment, intimidation and bullying
- Consequences and appropriate remedial actions for persons committing acts of harassment, intimidation and bullying
- Reporting procedures
- Process for immediate investigation
- Statement that prohibits reprisal or retaliation against a person who reports an act of harassment, intimidation or bullying
- Statement how the policy should be publicized
- Immunity – school employee or volunteer who promptly reports an incident of harassment, intimidation, or bullying to the appropriate school official designated by the local school district’s policy, and who makes this report in compliance with the procedures in the district’s policy, is immune from a cause of action for damages arising from failure to remedy the reported incident.
- Additional Component
- Training to be provided to school volunteers.
- Bullying prevention programs and other initiatives involving administrators, community members, law enforcement, parents, students, school staff, and volunteers.
Healthy Workplace Bill in South Carolina
The Palmetto State needs 90 more signed petitions in order for the Healthy Workplace Bill to be passed to the local legislators. The bill is needed to add more protection to employees to work without being troubled by abusive employers and working environments.