Key Points on the Anti Bullying Laws in Missouri
- Cyber-bullying is part of bullying covered by the state’s laws and policies
- The model state policy of Missouri against bullying can be accessed by request through Missouri School Boards Association.
- The model state policy of Missouri is entitled, “Prohibition Against Illegal Discrimination and Harassment and Hazing and Bullying.”
- The model state policy includes transparency and monitoring processes of bullying incidents.
- Information about bullying, simply entitled “Anti-Bullying” can be accessed through the Missouri Department of Education.
- There are no specific groups listed in any of the state’s laws and policies.
- Communications, as well as anti-bullying training and prevention should be provided to students, parents, guardians, and school staff.
- Definition of “bullying” – intimidation or harassment that causes a reasonable student to fear for his or her physical safety or property. It may consist of:
- Physical actions or gestures
- Electronic or written communication
- any threat of retaliation for reporting of such acts
- Policies shall
- assumption that all students need a safe learning environment
- treat students equally
- not contain specific lists of protected classes of students who are to receive special treatment
- include age-appropriate differences for schools based on the grade levels at the school
- contain a statement of the consequences of bullying
Bullying Laws in Missouri – Policies
District anti-bullying policy shall
- require district employees to report any instance of bullying of which the employee has firsthand knowledge
- address training of employees in the requirements of the district policy
- Written policy on:
- Reporting requirements
- Additional restrictions for certain suspensions
- Investigation procedure
Healthy Workplace Bill in Missouri
2 signatures are present, 98 more signed petitions to go for the state of Missouri to pass the Healthy Workplace Bill. The bill will ensure more local employees for more secure and safer work places against abusive employers and working conditions.